Is there official government guidance for employers?
Yes. The official UK government guidance can be found here on the UK Government website
What is a good plan for returning to work?
The CIPD has a well presented returning to work guide for employers but always check the government website for guidelines which are changing
Is a Coronavirus Employee Survey a Legal Requirement
No. But it is a duty of care that contributes to your legal obligations to protect the health of your employees (and all who enter your premises). And it also a very good idea
What would be the main benefits of a Coronavirus Staff Survey?
Feedback from your team, preferably anonymously shows you a gage of how well the safety measures you have introduced are being received and will help surface breaches and good ideas to further improve your personal safety and the safety of your colleagues and their families
Coronavirus Employee Survey – COVID-19 EMPLOYEE SURVEY Questions for Staff
COVID-19 has created an extraordinary challenge for employees to stay safe and there never has been a time when listening to team feedback is so critical to saving lives, reducing anxiety and returning to the new normal as best possible.
So to compliment the official coronavirus guidance for employee’s which you can find here
So let’s look at the vital questions that are being developed to ask your entire workforce including security staff, delivery workers and cleaners – basically anyone who enters your office regularly – to gage how successful your new precautionary measures are being implemented and to protect staff and lower anxiety.
100% we recommend an anonymous Covid-19 employee survey (because a lot of people don’t want to be seen as pedantic or causing trouble especially when any tragic outcome is so hidden) that is separate from your main engagement survey.
1. Do you feel there is an active and operational “Owner” of our protection within the business?
This question may not be directly related to increased safety but it’s a key indicator that you have a plan and your staff can see it in action. If this score is low then that’s not good.
2. From 1-100 how confident are you in the preventative measures and new operational procedures OVERALL
This question along with the open feedback box is a key KPI in terms of reducing staff anxiety and gaging if your new protective measures are working.
2. From 1-100 how confident are you in the preventative measures and new operational procedures RELATIVE to our sector
Unfortunately people working in many sectors simply can not have the same level of protection as say remote workers or office workers in a large premise with multi ground floor access points with the perfect example being hair dressers and restaurant waiters who have to come into contact with numerous people.
Including this question within your covid 19 employee survey therefore gages your relative implementation success and triggers the staff member to consider putting forward in-category ideas to improve corona protection.
4. How can we better protect our employees from exposure in the workplace?
The classic. 100% embrace this section. This is where ALL of us can suggest ways to improve corona protection in the workplace BUT you must be seen to be seriously considering and implementing otherwise it’s counter productive and leaving you exposed to not acting on good ideas that will protect you and your workforce better.
5. Have we maximised employees’ ability to work remotely, where possible?
Sadly, we can’t all work at home but for those that can, this is the new normal for now.
coronavirus employee survey questions
6. Are managers and/or supervisors suitably trained and empowered?
Fundamentally is this being taken seriously by your workforce. It’s all good training your managers but if they do not feel they can walk into a board meeting and ask for social distancing to be applied, it’s not working.
7. Is our Corona Protection Policy clear, widely understood and highly visible?
Like GDPR before but much more important this includes regular clear communication both in town halls, employee wide email reminders, training and posters up in the kitchen, shared areas, meeting rooms and reception.
Remind, Remind Everywhere, Remind Regularly.
We hope you found this Coronavirus Employee Survey useful and please see our list of resources below
Coronavirus Employee Survey Resources (5)
Official Guidance from the UK Government
This guidance may be updated in line with the changing situation so please always check the official site here
What you need to know
- businesses and workplaces should make every possible effort to enable working from home as a first option. Where working from home is not possible, workplaces should make every effort to comply with the social distancing guidelines set out by the government
- members of staff who are vulnerable or extremely vulnerable, as well as individuals whom they live with, should be supported as they follow the recommendations set out in guidance on social distancing and shielding respectively
- where the social distancing guidelines cannot be followed in full in relation to a particular activity, businesses should consider whether that activity needs to continue for the business to operate, and, if so, take all the mitigating actions possible to reduce the risk of transmission between their staff. Potential mitigating actions are set out in these illustrative workplace examples
- staff who are unwell with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) should not travel to or attend the workplace.
- staff may be feeling anxious about coming to work and also about impacts on livelihood. Workplaces should ensure staff are fully briefed and appropriately supported at this time
- any member of staff who develops symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) (a new, continuous cough and/or a high temperature) should be sent home and stay at home for 7 days from onset of symptoms. If the member of staff lives in a household where someone else is unwell with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) then they must stay at home in line with the stay at home guidance
- employees will need your support to adhere to the recommendation to stay at home to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) to others
- employees should be reminded to wash their hands for 20 seconds more frequently and catch coughs and sneezes in tissues
- frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are touched regularly, using your standard cleaning products
- those who follow advice to stay at home will be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP) from the first day of their absence from work
- employers should use their discretion concerning the need for medical evidence for certification for employees who are unwell. This will allow GPs to focus on their patients
- if evidence is required by an employer, those with symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) can get an isolation note from NHS 111 online, and those who live with someone that has symptoms can get a note from the NHS website
Best Coronavirus employee survey advice resources
Here are some video resources to help you understand how you can improve the environment and their safety against Covid-19 in the work place.
As it stands there is not an absolute guide for employers in the UK yet although there are official guidelines to do with distance and hygiene it does require some common sense interpretations and adjustments to workplace procedure so we hope these help.
Best UK Employee Engagement Survey Providers 2020
Never has there been more of a vital time now for an staff survey to ensure not just wellbeing but actual genuine safety so let’s look at some of the best specialist software providers in the UK.
And here’s a counter view about why they don’t work for balance….
Cultureamp allows you to keep a pulse on the holistic employee experience
In times of change it’s important to check in with employees and let them know their voice is heard. Culture Amp’s library of survey templates and continuous listening technology allows for feedback throughout the employee experience so you see the whole picture.
Hundreds of business owners trust TinyPulse to make better leadership decisions
- Get real time, safely anonymous feedback from employees
- Cut through the clutter with science-backed questions and survey templates
- Target a team as small as 10 or as large as 100,000 employees
“TINYpulse has helped shape our culture by showing our team that the leadership team hears them on all their feedback and acknowledges it.
Omar Shahine, Director of Program Management,
OneDrive & SharePoint – Microsoft
Qualtrics provide you with real-time insights and action planning
Empower every manager in your organisation to improve engagement with real-time insights that show them exactly where to focus their efforts to increase employee performance.
Qualtrics engagement software platform makes it easy to pinpoint experience, productivity drivers, so you can act in real-time to create a world-class company culture.
We hope you like our guide to the best Employee Engagement Survey Providers, do also check out our guide to coronavirus employee survey questions